Thank you for the kind birthday wishes, everybody. Yes, I turned 50 today. I don't need the Depends yet, pizzaboy, but keep them nearby as I soon might. And, goombah, the Phillies did give me a present with a victory in Milwaukee.

I received a nice gift Monday night as my wife surprised me with a trip to Pittsburgh to see Paul McCartney perform. He played many of the Beatles tunes, including some by Lennon and Harrison. "Maybe I'm Amazed," "Let it Be," and the "Golden Slumbers" medley, which closed the second encore, were especially stirring.

We had a Mexican dinner tonight, which was joined by my brother-in-law and mother-in-law, who came down from MaryCas' second home of Pittston, PA. And I watched Argentina and Holland.

I also visited my parents on Saturday to do some tree and shrub trimming, which my dad can't do anymore. My mom gave me a gift that I didn't open until I got home. It was a crank-powered radio that operates without batteries or electricity. I never really thought of having one, but I guess it can come in handy.