Sports gambling is bigger now than what it once was and isn't a white trash or immigrants dominated operation, in fact I would say it's the exact opposite, middle to high class today ( likely a result of the web model). I'm sorry but what was stated was just entirely inaccurate. The web has greatly expanded the size of books and the geographic reach , big books can have customers several and in some cases many states away from where they typically operate.

Gambling and the loan business will likely always be the mafias bread and butter whether that be NY , NJ , Detroit or Chicago . It's this steady cash flow that funds their other activities whether that is legal or illegal.

There is no such thing as a bookie in a bar anymore writing betting slips , or at least I hope not as that would be one dumb gangster needlessly exposing himself to getting pinched easily .

LCN sports business has gone on line thru wire rooms in Costa Rica banked by made guys and usually with associates ( agents ) doing a lot of the collections , pay outs and even marketing ( basically the face to face exchanges ) and receiving a % of their entire customer packages losses as their compensation, made guys may also just choose to manage their own packages and not bank or run the betting site. If a site is busted , then a new site is up and running within 24 hours ( unless it's bet eagle lol) and the new log in # and passwords immediately sent to their clients. The off shore wire rooms charging roughly $20 + per gambler for maintenance .

LCN will always have a leg up over legalized sports gambling as it's on credit and your winnings are not subjected to taxes, which are huge advantages . The credit part drives a good portion of LCN shy loan volume .

The sports gambling business is booming and without it many wise guys across the country would be starving .