They are into a lot of fraud as stated above. Other things they are into are prostitution, drugs, auto theft, extortion, gun running, human trafficking, and cargo hijacking.

I did not realize that the Russian mafia became powerful again in Sacramento, as the Ukrainian organized crime has more power in that city then the Russians do. You can find Russian OC figures, not just Russian criminals in Walnut Creek, Orangevale, and Citrus Heights in the area you live in. San Francisco is where the Russian OC power base is in Northern California as far as I know, since Oakland never recovered from the 1990's arrests, convictions, and the fleeing of most of its members to other cities and states. There are a lot of Russian, and Ukrianian criminals that operate independant of the OC in Chico, Redding, and Eureka to name a few of the Northern California Cities. In Southern California they are all over the place.

The San Francisco Bay area is pretty much ripe for cargo hijacking. That fraud case you posted above is no where near what the Smushkevich brothers had done in the 1990's and 80 million dollars of that has never been recovered, and there is still no way of knowing how much they actually took in.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green