Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Kly,

Off immediate topic...Any predictions on what the Supreme Court will rule on the Hobby Lobby case? Just curious.

smile

TIS

I would predict the Court affirms the Tenth Circuit in favor of Hobby Lobby, and remands to the district court for fact finding in accordance with the decision.

Kly, I'm thinking that the Court will agree with Lobby's basic 1st amendment argument, but will carve out a minor inconvenience exception (or something similar) in government's favor.

I agree that if there is a ruling in favor it will be a narrow one. The Court is aware that a broad ruling would contradict without overruling some established precedent, and could open a floodgate of cases involving corporations claiming individual, personal rights to circumvent law, not only in the area of religious freedom and contraception, but in other areas.

There are at least 70 amicus briefs filed in the matter, representing both sides. The majority may take the view that the burden on freedom is de minimis as the law does not require the corporation to buy health insurance under the act, and the business is allowed to opt out if they don't want to provide the healthcare plan proscribed.

This opens a few cans of worms as well.