Originally Posted By: mldetroit
What is the modern day mafia going to do to make new members? Obviously, they started accepting 1/2 Italians because they needed to bring in new members and there weren't enough full-blooded Italians.

Anyways, this begs the question, will the mob eventually start making guys that are 1/4 Italian (have only one full Italian grandparent)?

I think they will have to because immigration from Italy is way down. This isn't the 1920s anymore. The more you widen the talent pool, you have a better selection of high quality, committed, money-making criminals. On the other hand, if you widen the talent pool to 1/4 Italians, being a mafia member may lose meaning, which mean guys don't feel as loyal to the group. What do you guys think?

Everything you've just described is called attrition, and attrition and assimilation have done more to change the face of the American mob than RICO and everything else combined.

But no, I doubt they'll ever take 1/4 Italians (whatever that means in this melting pot day age).

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.