Originally Posted By: Camarel
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
I agree I believe silence of the lambs was better. I believe cape fear is close. But yes that was a career defining performance by Hopkins and I think he also deserved it actually. I think De Niro was still great in cape fear though. He showed his versatility off imo. But I do believe de niro should've won for taxi driver, deer hunter, king of comedy(just saw that recently) and mean streets. How him and Keitel weren't even nominated for mean streets blows my mind. I guess you could make an argument for some of his other performances as well. Any other great Anthony Hopkins movies you guys suggest?

Agreed on Taxi Driver and especially The King of Comedy which is his best performance imo. I disagree on both Mean Streets and Deer Hunter though, i thought Jack Lemmon was a deserving winner in 1973 and i would also pick Pacino for Serpico above it. Jon Voight also deserved his Oscar imo, i watched Coming Home recently and while i didn't really like it i thought Voight was excellent.

For mean streets he would be up for supporting actor not lead. And Voight was great(probably the only performance I really like by him)but I don't think I could say that performance was better than De Niro's(or Walken's for that matter even though he was a supporting actor). Yes I just saw king of comedy recently and I was very impressed. Also I think his performance in once upon a time in America is something to take note of too. Very reserved and still made a big impact on the screen. Midnight run as well is a favorite of mine. I think that's an underrated performance. Not your typical De Niro performance during that time but maybe that's why I liked it, because he went out of his zone that we were used to seeing him in.