Originally Posted By: SgWaue86
I saw that Massachusetts recently ruled that a lifetime parole for sex offenders was unconstitutional. I would like to know which POS even brought this up. Can the public view which way the panel of whatever voted. Anyways the systems a fucking joke. I mean WTF, I can just picture some fucking idiot lib bringing this up, "Well we wont know if their truly rehabilitated if their on lifetime parole". Well fuck em they don't deserve another chance I mean whats more important than my child's, our children's safety.

http://m.wcvb.com/news/lifetime-parole-of-mass-sex-offenders-ruled-unconstitutional/26438774

You need to read the actual decision as well as the MA constitution. The decision doesn't state that which you imply.

The Parole Board has the right to supervise parolees and lodge detainers against those, who violate the terms of their parole while the max date of the original sentence is still in effect. The MA constitution, like those of the other states, requires a separation of powers, and where the Parole Board (a creation of the executive branch) is imposing incarceration on defendants for periods beyond the scope of their original sentences without judge, lawyer or due process, they are violating the separation of powers and performing a function reserved to the judiciary by constitutional order. They are essentially resentencing the criminal defendant.

The SJC's decision rightfully asserted that in order to make the practice constitutional, the legislature may provide a means for resentencing, but only the judiciary may impose the additional sentence, and the state and federal constitution require due process when liberty interests are at stake.

Nobody is advocating allowing child-sex offenders to run free in Massachusetts (except maybe the Church :/). The decision merely recognizes the constitutionally mandated roles of the branches of government. Because the case involves parolees, who are child molesters, the emotion may temporarily cloud one's reason, but the principle evoked is designed to protect us all.