Originally Posted By: Mikey_Sunset
Originally Posted By: Benedetto
We in SF have our own area of the city called North Beach. Lots of history in this Italian neighborhood. Joe DiMaggio grew up here. My grandfather played ball with him as kids. DiMaggio married Marilyn Monroe at Saints Peter and Paul church.

Believe it or not we had our fare share of wise guys out here. Joe "The Animal" Barboza was shot down on the San Francisco streets in 1976. Jimmy "The Weasel" Fratianno spent time here.

These days, like most old Italian neighborhoods, restaurants cater to the tourists and the folks who live in the area are well to do or young hipsters. My Nonno learned to speak English in Washington square park, my grandparents wedding cake was made at Victoria Pastry 63 years ago. History.

Benedetto, I missed your post earlier. Yeah North Beach has got a tourist thing going on, has for years as you know. There's still Molinari's and even though they classed up the place the Duggans have done a good job with the re-opened Joes. I loved the one in the TL - it was either there or Johns Grill before shows at the Warfield - hell, Joes was open late so sometimes we'd go AFTER a show. Now they're gonna redo Westlake Joes - I hope they keep the Steak ala Bruno and the Cascade Room. I'm debating on the fair - it would be fun on a nice day but do I really wanna deal with techies and lines to places I can just walk into on Tuesday?

Hey Mikey, nice to see someone from my area on here. Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy strolling along Columbus Ave. Molinari's is great. The clam pizza at Tony's Pizza Napoletana is always a homerun. I also like what they did with Joe's right across the street. Giordano Brothers does a nice take on the famous Primanti Brothers sandwich. The owners of the place are originally from Pittsburgh and are huge Steelers fans. Lots of little dive bars I enjoy popping into but when Friday and Saturday night comes around, I stay away from this neighborhood the majority of the time. The streets are packed with drunk 20 something year olds. If anyone plans to visit, you will get a much more enjoyable experience during the day and if you want to have an evening dinner I really suggest you do it on a weekday.