Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: cheech
Next reading a Dennis Lehane novel that PB recommended.

If you're starting with the Kenzie-Gennaro books, don't forget to read them in order. In a run-of-the-mill detective series that usually won't matter. But these characters really evolve over the years, so I strongly recommend reading them in chronological order:

1) "A Drink Before the War."
2) "Darkness, Take My Hand."
3) "Sacred."
4) "Gone, Baby, Gone.
5) "Prayers for Rain."
6) "Moonlight Mile."

And when you get to "Moonlight Mile," keep in mind that Lehane took more than a ten year break from these characters to concentrate on "Mystic River" and "Shutter Island."

Lehane is fantastic. Now that Elmore Leonard is gone, in my opinion it's a toss-up between Lehane and Michael Connelly as to who is the greatest living crime writer (I don't consider Richard Price a crime writer, he honestly writes literary fiction and he does it on a grand scale).

Happy reading, Cheech! smile

a drink before war i start tonite....still feeling emotional about the prince of thieves ending and the way things went...its weird but it has stayed with me.

price is my fave as you know, loved Lush Life, hope he comes with something new soon...he wrote a little bit for the wire towards the end.

always a pleasure to talk literature with you PB

When Interpol?