free image hosting

THE family of a man killed by a vicious thug who has been jailed again for an armed robbery said he should never have got out of jail.

Last week Joseph McCarthy was sentenced to two years in prison for threatening two restaurant workers with a knife after he refused to pay for his food.

Gardaí had to use pepper spray to subdue the violent thug after his terrifying attack in Limerick city.

McCarthy had been jailed in 2005 for the manslaughter of a Galway man Colman Barrett.

The victim’s father, also called Colman Barrett, said that he was not surprised to hear that McCarthy had been at the centre of another violent incident.

“As far as I’m concerned he should be in jail for life. He should not have been allowed out to the same to another family,” he told the Sunday World.

“We’re not the same since that. I’d like to see him out away for a long time,” he added.

His daughter Ann Marie blasted the authorities for letting her brother’s killer plead to a manslaughter charge and avoid a life sentence.

“It’s a joke, I am very angry about it still,” she said.

“None of our family are happy about it. What’s he going to do now? Is he going to kill someone else?

“He should have still been in jail,” she told the Sunday World.

McCarthy, who has more than 50 previous convictions, served seven years for the manslaughter of Colman Barrett.

Barrett, a father of three, was left to bleed to death after being bludgeoned with beer bottles by McCarthy in a laneway beside St Patrick’s Cathedral in Galway.