Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: NNY78
There is a movement currently underway in many government and social science circles to move away from mandatory minimums for financial and humanitarian reasons. Hope this helps.

And I'd support those changes for addicts and other bottom feeders who are only dealing to feed their addiction/disease.

But in the case of some high level dealer who's already driving a Mercedes and gets caught with 500k cash in his basement?

Three words for you: No . . . Fucking . . . Way.

I agree PB, the black hearted scumbags producing and distributing this poison deserve the maximum sentence allowed and the street level guys deserve a stiff sentence too, I don't think any sane person would argue that. I think were it gets tricky is the with the minimum mandatory sentencing which handcuffs the Judges and treats all defendants the same regardless of their circumstances. Let me use Florida law as an example because I haven't lived in Brooklyn since 92 and am not current on New York drug sentencing guidelines. Down here the State drugs laws are very harsh. Here is one example: If you are arrested in possession of 7 or more hydrocodone tablets without a prescription you are automatically charged with possession with attempt to distribute which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years in jail. Now if you are convicted of that charge the Judge is not allowed to take into consideration any mitigating circumstance so he is required to give the same minimum 5 year sentence to the guy that swiped 7 pills from his Grandma's medicine chest for his personal use as the guy who works a crew that doctor shops and sells thousands of pills a week at $30 a pop. Now the Judge can certainly give the dealer more time but he can't give the kid one day less than 5 years and there is no parole in Florida. There are other examples, but this is one of the more frightening ones. You know I have a soft spot for the folks struggling with addiction as does Mrs. PB, so as always thank you for the feedback.