13 May 11:22 PM
Notorious gangster charged with using mob goons to collect money from 70-year-old deadbeat

KEN MURRAY/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Michael Capra is a Luchese associate who was used to assault the 70-year-old deadbeat, according to court papers.

A Luchese oldfella was charged Tuesday with dispatching a couple of mob goons to collect money from a 70-year-old deadbeat.

Reputed capo Carmine Avellino, 70, didn’t cut the fellow septuagenarian any slack on a $100,000 loan he was late repaying, officials said.

Avellino is charged with sending Luchese associates and brothers, Michael and Daniel Capra, to assault the victim in 2010, according to court papers. The Capras were arrested last year and are awaiting trial on the same charges.

Defense lawyer Scott Leemon entered a not guilty plea to the indictment on behalf of his client who was ordered held pending a bail hearing next week.

“These allegations go back over four years so the question is, why did it take them so long to bring these charges?” Leemon said.

In the mid-1990s, Avellino was charged with the murders of Long Island garbage carters Robert Kubecka and Donald Barstow as part of a mob extortion scheme. Avellino pleaded guilty to racketeering and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

His brother Salvatore Avellino, a reputed Luchese soldier, appeared at the arraignment in Brooklyn Federal Court and chatted with FBI agents.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort