There was a sale on PSN last weekend in which a handful of full PS3 games were on sale for $4.99, so I downloaded this.

This is about as close as one can get to a video game version of APOCALYPSE NOW. The game takes place in modern day Dubai, but it follows the scripts of Coppola's masterpiece almost to the "T". A decorated Colonel who has gone rogue; the journalist sent to report on the situation only to become sympathetic to the Colonel's cause...it seems almost like a blatant rip-off...but it works.

SPEC OPS takes the conventions found in modern shooters and turns them on their heads. It shows how ridiculous war shooters have become. When playing one of the dozens of shooters on the market, the player thinks nothing about carpet bombing an enemy's position. But imagine having to walk through the devastation that you just unleashed. Imagine seeing the result of your indiscriminate killing. That's what SPEC OPS: THE LINE is all about. There are no heroes. There are no good guys or bad guys. It is basically a series of reactions to horrible situations. And at times, it is quite disturbing.

It's one of the most brilliant gaming experiences I have ever had.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis