Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
Didn't mean to come off as a racist. I should probably have mentioned that I'm Italian. The way we always used the word "cugine" was to describe a young, cocky, wiseguy wanna-be.
Exclusively applied to Italian-American males,it is a disrespectful and contemptuous term that we use for those that are an embarassment.

I do agree that it is like an African American using the N-word.Even though it is used by one of the same race,it is still not a proper way to refer to another person.

I wasn't thinking when I used the term,and the fact that I am Italian doesn't excuse my use of the word.Apologies if anyone took offense.

"Now go get your fu**ing shine box." (Just kidding,thought it would be a funny line to throw in).

I had never heard the term before. I did a google search and someone claimed it meant cousin but I looked up the word for cousin in Italian, and it is not the word used.

The slurs I have seen used for Italians are "Guido", "wop", "Dago", and "Guinea". I am not sure why "I guide" is a slur were lots of Italian men drivers at first when they came to America like with a stage coach or later car? Why is the term "Guinea" used or is that from when Italians controlled some countries in Africa?

Last edited by cornuto_e_contento; 05/07/14 08:14 PM.