Originally Posted By: domwoods74
Yeah the Feds r basically saying knock off the violence and the drug dealing and we will let u earn , the minute there r bodies dropping in the street the Feds will be all over them like a rash . I can't believe the Feds haven't stated rounding people up in Montreal with all the killings there . Am I correct in thinking they don't use the Rico act there ?

Yes and no. Its a little convoluted. There is no single legislation that targets OC like rico, but a myriad of different laws that amount to a similar situation.. however because there are sometimes disconnects between these laws it is often easier to find legal loop holes. RICO would also be a violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as you cannot persecute people for being part of an organization, criminal or otherwise (there may be an exception for 'terrorist' groups such as the FLQ [French Sovereignty group] in the 1970's; but I'm not sure). The issue with RICO is that it's sort of like "pre-crime" and in Canada you can't lock someone away for crimes they may commit in the future.

(I know that's not what RICO does technically -- It locks people away for longer sentences based on the crime they actually did commit AND an association with criminal elements under one banner on the predication that they are more likely to be prone to recidivism)

Nicky is partially correct, however, 10 years is the minimum mandatory sentence for murder 1... so there's a bit of hyperbole there hehe. But yes, our prison sentences tend to be much lighter. However I still don't see losing a decade of your life as being any sort of joke (IMO). There is no clear social benefit to locking away (most of) these men for life, either though, so there's that to consider.

Last edited by slumpy; 05/07/14 02:52 PM.