Originally Posted By: olivant
There is no empirical way to even begin to provide evidence of a God. For one, there is no one definition of God (Jefferson and Franklin, Jerry Falwell and James Dobson are testimony to that). As I stated in an above post, religious people like Lee Strobel have already reached their terminus: i.e., there is a God who manifest certain attributes and intervenes in human lives (I like the Catholic terminus: "I believe in God, the father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.")

Creationism, irreducible complexity, and unerring biblical content as the word of God are their bedrocks, none of which is truly subject to empirical examination.

When non-believers say "empirical evidence," it means they won't accept anything as evidence unless it's in just the way they want. Of course, God providing them that would defeat one of the primary reasons we're here to begin with.

I should also add that, despite there being many definitions of God created by man, it doesn't mean there isn't one true definition and the rest are either partially correct or wrong altogether.

Originally Posted By: XDCX
Just imagine actually participating in it! It is impossible to debate with someone like IvyLeague because of his arrogance and self righteousness. He has a certain opinion of atheists and agnostics, and has the gall to generalize that opinion across the entire atheist/agnostic community.

It'd be like if I said all Christians are arrogant, intolerant, pompous jerks. But I would never generalize Ivy's characteristics onto the entire Christian community. Because that is bad.

"Religion has always been unpalatable to those whose lives are thoroughly steeped in philosophical conjecture."

Originally Posted By: Lilo
My only major issue with some religious people (i.e. Creationists) is that they persist in making claims about the world that are demonstrably untrue (i.e. world only 4-6000 yrs old) and expecting other people to treat those assertions as scientifically valid.

Going forward, I'll assume by "world" you mean the earth. That is one of the more prominent examples of where many Christian's misunderstanding of the Bible gives non-believers a lot of talking points. Many mainstream Christians don't know or understand much of anything beyond what they read on the pages of their King James Bible. It's why they believe the earth is only 6,000 years old. When, in reality, it's simply been approximately 6,000 from the fall of Adam until now. The earth itself is, of course, much older.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.