Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
Originally Posted By: jimmerz

"Freedom off choice", isn't that what our nation was founded on? Drug consumption is a victimless crime.

"Freedom" is a good concept, but it modern society it gets abused and has become an excuse to justify virtually everything apart from murder, rape and theft. "Freedom" shouldn't be egoistic: you can't just spit on the feelings of your relatives who don't want to see you die because of drugs.
Even the alcohol prohibition wasn't morally "bad" or "wrong" in my opinion. Completely useless and backfiring, but not morally bad. It's sad people think that morality is an outdated concept.

Exactly. Consumption of drugs is a victimless crime? Hardly. As I said, look at the damage legal alcohol and tobacco does. There are plenty of victims and not just the consumers themselves. What it comes down to is simple selfishness on the part of the consumers. They want their fix and will often do anything to get it, no matter the cost to themselves, their family and friends, or society as a whole.

WG, Let's take for example the state trooper that I bought a truck off of when I was 19. A few days after purchasing the truck (Which he had bought new), I was cleaning out the interior of the truck and found assorted paraphernalia under the seat, rolling papers, a "bowl", and assorted dried out buds of Mary Jane. This guy was a sergeant with the PSP, but put on his pants everyday and went out and enforced the laws of the commonwealth every day for 35 years.

Where is the victim? You're attributing the crime that accompanies addiction and high priced narcotics to the consumption of drugs. This crime is a already rampant, what's going to solve it?

Do you have any clue how many white collar and affluent members of society "self medicate" on a daily basis? Again, where are the victims?

Have you followed any of the studies on government provided heroin in Switzerland, Netherlands, or Vancouver, CA? The lack of crime from addiction when their drug of choice is readily and cheaply available is quite telling.

Anyways, my point is laws, incarceration, and the current attitude towards this issue has done nothing to curb the flow of and availability of narcotics. 40 years of failed drug policy, wouldn't you say it's time to try a different approach?