Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

........ Self-hating.

true but I was going to write...a product of his environment and era in which he lived

Hear me out...because on surface level(pun) it may sound like I'm making excuses for a grown man.

With your username,Piazza, I take it that you are a baseball fan and have seen several Dominican baseball players.

What if I told you that LEGALLY during an era of the 20th century that there were NO Black Dominicans? No ,your eyes weren't playing tricks on you....Big Papi ,Vlad Guerrero, Rafeal Soriano...or even Rafeal Santana from that magical Mets team do look like what you think they look like but.......

The govt. of DR legally had NO Black Dominicans. There were national ID cards issued for citizens. and the 3 racial categories were white, meztizo and indio or indian.

Schools taught that the darker Dominicans were descended from the indigenous natives of the island.

Africans were erased from the history and racial categorization of the state.

If I'm not mistaken, Sosa was born under this state sponsored nonsense.

The nonsense thought and TAUGHT about race ,skin color and hair texture in Latin America is a result of the casta system put in place hundreds of years ago in Spanish colonies. Closer to white..the higher you are social ladder. Black is at the bottom and there are gradations of status/stature based on heritage and phenotype.

Cornuto trying to imply that the Moors were not Black or even dark, Sosa bleaching his skin to fit into old money D.R. society, and hundreds of examples I've seen in real life(including examples from Spain and Mexico) are just part of much bigger issues.

I don't blame Cornuto anymore than I blame Sosa

For sure, I've met several people who are from these cultures who DON'T subscribe to this nonsense, but they are swimming against the current.

Last edited by getthesenets; 05/02/14 03:39 PM.