Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: Questadt
Ooh, I know! I can't believe I didn't think of this before now:

Two of my favorite little moments are from the first scene of Godfather I; the scene with the dialogue between Vito & Bonasera.

* While he's seated at his desk and talking with Bonasera, Vito is playing with a cat that's lying in his lap. That cat is a complete hoot! So sweet; so playful. I always thought that its trusting innocence was a statement of ironic contrast to the dastardly deeds being discussed at that very moment.

Very astute observation, Q. clap Did you hear the cat purring in the background?

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing the purring. It's quiet, but audible. Brando must have been wearing a microphone that was situated just close enough to pick it up. (Unless it was dubbed in.)

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: Questadt
* After Vito agrees to avenge the beating of Bonasera's daughter, and issues orders to Clemenza via Tom, he utters a subtle little sigh of resignation as he leans against the interior of the door to his office: a slight shrug as he utters: "Eh". Such a small gesture - from which could be inferred so much. Fatigue? The constant weight of responsibility? Something else?~ Q

Also note that he rubs or scratches his moustache at the same time as he's telling Tom to "give this job to Clemenza." Could be he was pondering his decision. Also could be Brando had just grown a 'stache for the part, and it was itchy.

BTW: Have you noticed that your namesake appears in Havana, in the scene where the Cuban President is meeting with the American business bigshots. He's seated behind Roth.

Yep, I have noticed that. He isn't on screen more than a moment or so. But I'd recognize that mug anywhere! wink

Yet another example of the subtlety of FFC's craft, with narrative that doesn't hit you over the head with the obvious, but instead makes you work for it - not unlike the way events often play out in real life. (Pet peeve: I detest movies with so little respect for my intelligence that they insist upon spelling everything out in detail. Note to director: Don't tell me. Show me. rolleyes )

As for the bigshots' scene in Havana, only if one happened to pay close attention and actually recall having seen his face, would the significance of Questadt's presence at that meeting start to become apparent by the time he was formally introduced into the film at the first Senate committee hearing scene. It isn't until several minutes later in the film, when Fredo utters: "The Senate lawyer, Questadt. He belongs to Roth", that the full significance of Questadt's role in the narrative is finally made explicit.

~ Q

Last edited by Questadt; 04/29/14 08:38 PM.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."