Originally Posted By: NNY78
Cuckold and Content,

I agree with much of what you said. People who abuse substances are responsible for making the decision initially to use those substances. Often what they are not responsible for are the factors that play a role in the person's likelihood of becoming an addict such as, the substance of choice i.e. heroin vs alcohol, their family history of substance abuse, their genetic make up, their environment growing up, a lack a social support in and outside of the home, they may have very few copings skills and if they have a history of trauma or abuse. Folks who have several or all of these factors I listed are a lock to become addicted once the substance is introduced. BTW the most well adjusted and respected person we know that have none of the factors I listed above will become physically dependent on opiates/heroin in three days. Crack and Heroin are specifically designed to be addictive, they are both short acting and provide an intense high initially.

What about meth? That's very addictive and apparently it's very strong and it makes regular amphetamines or "speed" look like nothing at all.

Some people do become physically addicted to drugs like alcohol and opiates, and other people do not but still have the psychological addiction or get cravings.