The California families were small. San Francisco had the larges presence of Italian OC in California from the 1890's till the late 1910's, then it shifted to Los Angeles. From about 1919 till about 1928, San Francisco was fighting the gangs from Santa Clara(which would later merge with the Alum Rock gang, to form one of the San Jose crews) and Goosetown gang (downtown San Jose crew, better known as the Marino crew decades later) when those gangs stopped paying tribute after the San Francisco boss died and those gangs did not like the new boss. By 1928 San Francisco had its own internal war in the city which did not end till about 1932. From 1928 till 1931, the two San Jose gangs fought each other. There is a ton of history on the Los Angeles and San Diego families fighting each other before the Matranga's from San Diego merged into the Los Angeles family, Rosario DeSimone (father of Frank DeSimone future boss of Los Angeles) Jack and Tom Dragna were key members in ending that mob war with the help of Tony Mirabile from San Diego. For the record Gaspare Matranga is related to those Matranga, but he was from the Chicago family and did not move to San Diego until after Frank Mangano was killed in Chicago. Fast forward about a century later and there is no families left, just old members from those families that have retired, with the expection of members from other families outside California, or from Sicily and Italy who have some things going on, but not much.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green