"I don't feel bad for the guy; I think he's fucked up. But he survived and thrived at the time. Read the crows book. He tells a story about how in Florida Phillip snapped on him and how Phillip and Nicky got all bugged out by Chuckie and Joey Merlino. They were talking about going after that whole family. He was nuts."

-NickyWhip

You know, everybody says that all the time, how crazy and paranoid Scarfo Sr. was.

Look at how his two predecessors vacated the bosses seat....

Bruno with a 12 GA. shot to the head,

and Testa blown to pieces by a nailbomb.

Both by underlings from within their own organization. Kinda puts things in a different perspective, doesn't it?
Plus, you have all these fucking guys throwing each other under the bus and then fanning the flames of discontent.

I think there's more to that story between Scarfo and the Merlinos and Scarfos perceived treachery. I'm not saying the Merlinos were plotting against Scarfo, but I do think that something happened that gave Scarfo good reason to suspect they were.

That coupled with what he'd witnessed first hand with Bruno and Testa, I'd say gave him Damn good reason to be suspicious and not take any chances.