Originally Posted By: mulberry
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

The heroin business that the group, I mentioned above, was involved with skyrocked AFTER the Galante killing. It looks to me that Galante had actually hindered his guys, at least to some extent, from getting into drugs. At the time of his murder, Galante was out on parole. The last few years in his life, he was basically in and out of jail for violations of his parole restrictions. He was constantly being watched by LE who followed his every move. Why was he in and out of jail? For consorting with known criminals and for not having reported to his parole officer regulary as he was supposed to when released from prison in 1974. During these kind of circumstances, do you guys really think he had the nerves of getting back into the heroin business, a crime that would put his ass behind bars for another ten years just for uttering the letter "H"? I don´t think so. If heroin was the cause of Galante´s murder, it was because he partly held his guys back.

Nope. Galante was a drug dealer his entire mafia career. Whether he was killed for not sharing is not known. What is known is that he brought the zips over to deal drugs. There was no other reason to bring them over.

Could the increase in heroin dealing in the 80's be due to them building more drug routes and distribution channels over time? It takes time to set those things up

That is the genaral belief, yes. But Mafia history is riddled with false information and wrong assumptions. It only takes a quick glance at MafiaWiki to see that most of the info presented there is without merit. If anybody brought over zips, it was Gambino while he was alive. Galante was in prison when, for example, Bonventre and Baldo Amato, by the looks of it, voluntarily came over. There is simply no proof, regardless of what MafiaWiki says, that Galante organized the transfer of these guys. These two guys were both Castellammaresi and Bonventre had family as former Bonanno members, possibly Amato too. So naturally they were drawn to and later ended up with Galante. On here, use the search function, I´ve posted a report where Luigi Ronsisvalle´s testimony can be read. He says that some Siclians, from the Castellammaresi region, were brought over in the mid 1960s to fight in the "Bananas war", against Joe Bonanno. And that these guys were brought over by Giuseppe Buccelato. If you are familiar with the Bonanno/Bonventre/Magaddino-Buccelato family feud of the early 1900s, you will see that Ronsisvalle´s testimony makes sense.

Most of the Families were engaged in drug trafficking. See for example my thread, on some of the major drug trials of the 1960s, posted some time ago. They all had established heroin pipelines that certainly lasted way into the 1970s. The myth of Galante being the one who had all these pipelines tied up in his name is an urban legend that needs to be buried once and for all. He did not control the Lucchese´s drug trafficking operations. He did not control the Gambino´s drug trafficking operations and he did not control the Genovese´s drug trafficking operations. Believing that Galante was the drug lord and contolled all these Familiies drug pipe lines is ridiculous. Therefore the claim "that Galante didn´t want to share drug profits with other bosses" is totally groundless. If Galante was murdered over drugs, it´s more likely that the reason was because he held factions within the Bonannos back, hindering them from engaging in drug trafficking and not because he wasn´t willing to share drug profits with other bosses. As I´ve said before, it was, in some sense, his murder that paved the way for the zip´s heavy involvement with the heroin trade. Read up on the Pizza Connection case which is described as the biggest heroin operation the Mafia was involved with ever, at least up til that date.

[Linked Image]