I just finished Murder Machine and then Sins of my father, shortly after. I have a few questions, how well was Roy known to the public? Obviously, the public didnt know he was wacking about a person a week in the late 70's early 80's.

But towards the end of Sin's, Al stated that he was on his way to identify Roy's corpse, when over the radio, the news station said "Authorities say reputed mobster Roy Demeo was found murdered" or something along those lines. So was he well known as a mobster to the public in NYC at that time?

Also, what is his legacy in the history of LCN? Was he an important character or was he just a typical scum? I have noticed a lot of people who take a casual interest in LCN do not even know who he is. Infact, I had only came across him while I was reading on serial killers at the crime library.

It seems he's not nearly as popular as a guy like Gotti, and so many of the other mainstream mobsters. But to me, he was alot more intersting than someone like Gotti or "The bull". Without Demeo around, how would it of changed the outlook of the LCN in NYC?

How does it change the Gambino family? Would Big Paul of been wacked faster? Would anything have changed? It seemed when Roy was around he was a pretty important member to them, and Big Paul apparently didn't see it.

As far as the books, I liked Murder Machine overall. But I didn't care for Dom at all. He seems like a tool, and his background is not interesting at all. I thought Roy and Nino were interesting characters but Dom is not. I wish the book had less of him and highlighted more on Nino and Roy and the squades they ran.

Sin's was ok.. gave a side to Roy that made him seem human. But Al seemed to make a lot of assumptions. Like when he would outright tell a different story of events that was highlighted in murder machine, and claiming some as not being true. I was reading it thinking.. how the hell do you know what happened? Roy seemed to kinda keep his family in the dark as far as his "work" went. Im pretty sure, none of us know knew exactly what our parents were doing at work as kinds. Im pretty sure Al didnt either. Which was odd to me that he stated several stories that were different from murder machine.

Last edited by Walkner; 04/08/14 01:09 AM.