Originally Posted By: GaryMartin
[quote=12thStreet]Great list..I think Joe Aiuppa belongs there though too. Accardo was the most respected man in The Outfit but Aiuppa was definitely the most powerful and feared. He headed the Cicero Crew and then broke up Giancana's Taylor Street crew and loaded up other crews with people loyal to HIM -not Accardo. Joe Ferriola went to Cicero. Turk Torello and the La Pietra brothers to Chinatown. The Grand Avenue Crew - which included Aiuppa's hometown of Melrose Park - was headed by guys like Joe Lombardo and Louie Eboli. All these guys were loyal to Aiuppa and not Accardo. Accardo thru Jackie Cerone had Elmwood Park - which although powerful couldn't have held their own against the others if push had ever come to shove. It appears guys like Accardo and Cerone and Aiuppa were smart enough to know they needed each other and genuinely liked each other, but in my opinion Aiuppa was the real power in the 70's until his imprisonment in 86 [/qu

This is certainly not an all-inclusive list of THE top mobsters, just SOME of the top mobsters.

IMO, Aiuppa was a gangster through and through. He would kill for real or perceived reasons. He did not take chances. I, too, would consider him a top mobster.

As far as Aiuppa and Accardo, I believe one of our members, StonePark, gave one of the best synopsis I have ever seen regarding Accardo. I would encourage anyone interested to check his posts relative to The Outfit, Accardo, Giancana, Aiuppa, etc.

I would enjoy some good discussion about the era of Ricca, Accardo and Giancana, but the dialogue almost always results in flaming remarks and name calling. Absolutely not my cup of tea.

Information about this era is always appreciated.
Who is name calling ? This would be a discussion with no definable answer just a debate based on opinions for which we are all entitled. I am not a groupie who cheers on the Outfit as I would my Hawks or Sox..:) I'm just a middle aged Italian guy who grew up in Cicero and Berwyn. Aiuppa was a guy for whom violence was usually the first resort not the last one.