Back top the topic...I found this while reading other things, this is one of those peces of misinformation that will not die, largely because the FBI has published similar information at one point, then later corrected it.
The Flange crew was not responsible for the murder of Marrone, the Colombo crew was. Marrone had just gotten out of prison and his first day out, Threatened Dominick Bretti. Bretti took the beef to Falcone and a sit down was arranged but it never took place, Bretti was a hothead and had Marrone whacked, claiming since he was a made guy and a capo, he didn't need permission or a sit down to take out Marrone. Falange and Marrone were far from close, and there had been conflict over territory before the marrone hit, but this is what in fact started the Colombo-Buffalo war

Anthony Falange - Utica, New York area, took over the areas rackets after Joe Falcone stepped down as the official Buffalo crime family caporegime in the early 1970's to become the Consigliere or retire. Tony Falange had been involved in a conflict with underling Al Marrone over control of the areas rackets and some believe the leadership, Marrone who has been mislabeled as a Buffalo caporegime was assassinated in 1976 for apparently threatening Falange and trying to take over. Falange and various members of his crew were indicted and arrested in the early 1990's for a 1983 bombing and a plot to kill an F.B.I. informant, Falange who had been the area boss for roughly 16 years died just before the trial began.

Been there and done it
I am very much for real, so if you ask, make sure you really want to know.