Stories like that prove that these claims that go like "the working class families are all gone, the Russians took over, blablablablabla" are all rubbish. The flashy widely known mobs of the 60s are long gone, but local crime families are far from gone.

As for the Irish background, like I said it's only logical that most working class families have at least some Irish background. 10% of the entire British population has at least 25% Irish ancestry and since a lot of Irish workers setted in the former industrial areas of London a lot of families in those areas will have Irish blood. I know a guy whose father is from Bermondsey. The man said he is English and Welsh on his father's side and Irish on his mother's side, "like everyone else around those parts" he added lol

The East End nowadays is mostly foreign born (Bangladeshis, Jamaicans, Russians, Nigerians,...). Canning Town remains a white working class area however. The area is notorious for being a hotbed for local crime families. Don't know if they're Irish, the crime families from Canning Town have mostly Anglo-Saxon surnames. I wouldn't be surprised however if they also have some Irish descent somewhere down the line. Nevertheless these are people not to be messed with, to put it mildly lol