Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
I think it's an interesting incongruity.

Democratic policies create an environment more appealing to OC with more opportunity for corruption (eg unions, govt program's) etc but Ironically (and credit to getthesenets) mafia ethos/attitude would I suspect be quite republican. That is, minimal taxation, regulation, free enterprise etc.

So whilst the mafia prefers liberal institutions it is only for the opportunity to corrupt them. Democratic policies are preferable, but only because it affords the opportunity for abuse.

So, whilst the democrats is the obvious answer, it is an interesting paradox deserving of a more in depth response.

Again, getthesenets deserves recognition for raising an interesting and valid perspective.

It's not a valid prospective, because there is nobody in the universe actually proposing doing away with the basic laws that protect individuals from assault, theft, breach of contract, and fraud. Richard Epstein has written about it- these are the basic prerequisites to a civil society and a functioning market. What the mafia does (fraud, antitrust, force) has been recognized since the 1700s (Adam Smith talked about it) to be both dangerous to markets and not to be accepted by government that attempt to foster free enterprise.

It's like saying democrats are pro-choice, and therefore want mandatory abortion. It's nonsense and its moronic nonsense at that.

Even the night watchmen state of the 1800s, which can be said to be the most libertarian, the most minimal, the chief role of government is to protect individuals against force and fraud via various various civil service, prisons, the executive, the judiciary.

Now you talk as if questioning federal regulation in kind and scale now is paramount to effectively approving of mafia busines deals. This especially rich considering the fact that the government is double the size it was during the Clinton administration and the Code of Federal Regulation has gone from several thousand pages to 180,000+ over the past several decades. In fact when they asked the Congressional Research Service to compile basic crimes under the federal code and applicable regulation- they reported there are so many it is impossible to track them all.

If anything plethora of business reg help the Mafia, because it makes legitimate business hard to form and capitalize. The Mafia, by its nature, don't follow the law to begin with. Black market and corruption look more lucrative under high regulatory environments, and especially markets that feature state mandated monopolies. The windows fixing case could not have happened in a right-to-work state not giving out massive government grants.

Last edited by LittleNicky; 03/14/14 04:40 PM.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here