Sure! First, let me just say I am not contending that anyone is better than the other. War is war. I personally don't take much pride in violent conflicts and I am not engaging in this conversation to insult people. I just love historical debate and I am quite knowledgeable in certain historical periods.

1812, for such a short war, had a great many battles. There were grand victories and horrendous defeats on both sides. America also beat the brits bloody when they retook Baltimore. And when they sacked York.

I get your point, that, because NO was the last (major) battle of the war that it would seem to indicate a win... But, as I pointed out, you must take into consideration the contextual circumstances. America was the aggressor, England had long since given up on that land. America had failed to hold any of the settlements they had captured and were beaten back across the border where the british sieged and plundered a great many cities. Because the Empire was unwilling to expend more man-power than were already in the Colonies, they could not fight an extended war post-NO, hence, the "white peace" that ended the conflict.

As I said, 1812 had no great ramifications, it's only importance is in that of helping establish Canada's national identity.

I think it's important to note, though, that by this time, "pirates" were just regular naval sailors given a writ to board and hijack foreign cargo vessels. They used this same tactic 20 years later in the Opium Wars... Though it dates back much farther than 1812.

Edit: sorry for hijacking your thread ABC

Last edited by slumpy; 03/14/14 11:52 AM.