Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Yogi, my grandmother had eight children. My mom and my older uncle passed away. Trust me, it's not easier for the rest of her six children now that she has Alzheimer's. She took the death of her son really hard and her condition got worse after he passed away. Anyway, she is now at the nursing home and although that breaks my heart, I can't see any other way that any of us would've been able to take care of her at home.

Afs, my dad too has dementia that is worsening. He turns 80 next month, but a few weeks ago when he went for his daily brisk walk, which goes on for 4-5 miles around town, he became disoriented, and needed a policeman to take him home. My mom is taking care of him, but we're considering a nursing home or home care. His mom, deceased brother and sister and two living older sisters, all have had dementia, one of whom is in a nursing home. It's a family curse. smile

I'm able to help out at least once a week as I live 2 hours away. I visited my parents yesterday, went out to lunch, and took my dad for a haircut (last time he went on his own, never made it to his barber of forty years, and came back a few hours later with the worst haircut of his life - who knows where he went?).

It's difficult, but you have to keep a sense of humor, smile through the tears, and try to spread the responsibility around as best as possible. Good luck with your grandmother.