Originally Posted By: carmela
Queen Sean, I definitely wasn't having a go at you, I was just saying I know FF is for sure from Jersey.
For the record, I like the Irish. And I have nothing against the Brits who have a Queen, and a Prince who is also a Queen, and if Napoleon were alive today he would cross that tunnel and they'd be speaking French in a half hour flat. Unless the 82nd Airborn saved them again. I love the British... someone has to hold our generals' coat while we fight the fight.

Can I quibble?

America has never saved anyone in war, let a lone the British. I am assuming, what you are referring to is World War II and America's entry into the war some three years after its start. Unfortunately, for your theory, the war was already all but won by the time of the D-Day landings. America's material contribution to the war was far more significant than any American soldiers sent into Europe.

Further, American generals didn't command British generals (not sure where you got that idea from). Gen. Montgomery was in command of the 21 army group which included all British and common wealth forces - Except the Aussies and Kiwis I think - (i.e. an army far, FAR larger than anything america could have possibly fielded circa 1939 - the 12th Army Group was formed post d-day landings in 1944, by that time British and Commonwealth forces were depleted from four years of intense fighting). Eisenhower commanded the Americans. They collaborated but there was no hierarchy among the primary allied nations.

German officers had made overtures of Peace to the British long before america entered the war. The writing was on the wall. The Germans lost four million soldiers on the Eastern front (compared to the less than 1 million in the West) in the pursuit of Hitler's goal to conquer Russia.

The only reason peace was not made was because it would have been a "white peace" with neither side being in a position to enforce its will on the other. Thus, America enters the war and Hitler refuses to surrenders despite his offensive capability having been completely annihilated by the Russians a year previous. The Allied powers wanted another treaty of Versailles that would effectively neuter the Germans ability to effectively wage another world war (And of course, America wanted a big piece of that European pie). Which was the fear, they accept peace not in a position of total authority, the Germans recoup and recover for a few years then renew their war against Europe.

Point being, I find your view a little offensive and somewhat misinformed though I understand you were probably just trying to get under Sean's skin. If anyone saved Britain in WW2 it was the Commonwealth.

Also, Napoleon was defeated by Arthur Wesseley at Waterloo, a brit.

Politely offended,

some random canadian

Last edited by slumpy; 03/12/14 12:04 PM.