Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
If Jesus thought married priests or female priests was a good idea, he could have instituted it at The Last Supper.

For the record, celibacy of priests (at least in Christianity) wasn't something that was instituted until the 4th century.

True. And the rationale for it was for the Church to inherit the fortunes of the Priests. Back then, some Priests were quite wealthy. And the Church got tired of seeing them leave their monies and properties to their wives and children wink.

I'm a practicing Catholic and I'll do my best to adhere to Churh doctrine, even when I don't agree with it. But I'd have no problem if they gave Priests the right to marry tomorrow.

But for the record, Furio's right. The right to marry won't flush out the pedophiles. Pedophiles are going to go wherever they can exploit children. Over the years there have been plenty of cases of pedophile couples (man and woman) abusing children.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.