Originally Posted By: getthesenets
pizza

Spike didn't object to QT making Django because he's White or non Black. He specifically objected to the original script of the film which trivialized slavery and was a blaxploitation/sexploitation/Italian western.

QT himself was convinced to tone down some of the sensational and exploitative elements of the original script...and altered it.

on this page....

http://www.reggiesworld.com/

there is a Q&A with Django producer Reginald Hudlin where the original script comes up.

QT, like Howard Stern has visible contempt for Black people...as the scripts of his films are peppered with racial slurs. If you look up his story....he was one of the last white kids in his neighborhood as it became more Black. so.......certain that he has pent up feelings that come out in his scripts.

Spike took objection to QT with his history and tendencies , and his original script....getting the greenlight to do the film.......not just because a white person was doing the film.
============
I found it interesting though, that racial slurs towards Blacks predictably (and historically accurately) show up a lot in Django, but in QT's film set in NAZI occupied France...none of the German slurs towards jews appear in script ....outside of the opening scene....and even though several characters were Nazis in WW2 Europe.

"things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Interesting article, Gets. And for the record, I completely understand some of Spike's reservations about the content in the early draft of that film (I should also note that I still haven't seen "Django"). And like I said earlier, I never had too much of a problem with Spike.

All I'm saying is, he's being hypocritical because he feels it's okay for him to depict Italian Americans in a bad light, yet when White filmmakers do the same with the Black community he's very outspoken about it. So I'm not at all saying that he shouldn't voice his opinion about Black stereotypes. But he shouldn't be propagating Italian American stereotypes either. It's a two way street.

"Do the Right Thing" is a classic. "Jungle Fever" was a swing and a miss in my opinion. But by "Summer of Sam," his depiction of Italian Americans was so cartoonish that one can't help but call him on his hypocrisy.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.