Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: klydon1

This proposed legislation was one of the most offensive, unchristian, unamerican pieces of garbage ever regurgitated by a legislative body. What made it especially hideous was that it was nothing more than attempt to legitimize hatred and prejudice through legislation that pretended to be promoting religious (and when Arizona says :religious," it means only right wingChristian) concerns and values.

This just proves the hypocricy of the right wing Christian lie, "We love the sinner, but hate the sin." Notice how the legislation pretends to aim at the universal concern of not forcing religious people to conduct business with those whose beliefs and practices offend their beliefs, but it then narrowly limits its application to gays. Religious people may have beliefs that they should also be offended by thieves, whoremongers, etc., but you can only discriminate against gays.

Moreover, I'm still trying to find that passage in the New Testament where Christ, who broke bread with prostitutes and

It's funny how today the all kinds of sinners, said that it was okay for merchants to deny gays, or for that matter, lepers, harlots, Roman tax collectors, etc., food, clothing, medical care, which the proposed legislation would have allowed merchants to do.

The religious right, which was the architect of this bigotry, as it coincidentally and contemporaneously arose in other state houses, withot there being a public call for it, seems unable to understand their Jesuss warning, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." This proposed legislation not only pisses all over that sentiment, but it was an attempt to pass out the stones.

First, let's not pretend you care one whit about what the scriptures say.

Second, as I said above, secular liberals like you love to quote the first part of that scriptural passage about "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." But you conveniently ignore the next part where Christ says to the woman, "Go thy say and sin no more."

You think because Christ ate with sinners that He condoned or excused what they did simply because He loved them. You forget that, when asked by the Pharisees why He spent time with sinners, Christ said, "The whole need not a physician but they that are sick."

Stick to your legalese ramblings, klydon, because you are clearly out of your depth here.

I didn't say he condoned the sin. Please reread my post. Christ did not turn his back on sinners. One can not possibly draw an inference from the New Testament that Christ would not deal publicly, commercially or personally with sinners.

When he said that the greatest commandment was to love thy neighbor as thy self, there was no qualification. There is no way around it that the proposed Arizona bill emphatically rejects this teaching. apparently, somewhere down the road the greatest commandment became "Persecute the gays!"