I think in the second fight Liston absolutely took a dive. That punch couldn't knock out a corpse let alone Sonny Liston.

But i think the first one was most likely legit.

Clay (Ali) was just too much for Liston...he was moving and sticking that jab in Liston's face all night.

But when Ali was blinded by whatever got in his eyes Liston tried to put him away but couldn't.

BTW : it says on boxrec.com that Liston's cornerman Joe Pollino years later confessed Liston told him to put that crap on his gloves....why would he do that if the fight was fixed? That is what it says but i can't swear it's true.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Sonny_Liston_vs._Cassius_Clay_(1st_meeting)

But then as soon as Ali could see again he went right back to owning Liston who i don't think was expecting that kind of performance by Ali. Liston knew at that point he couldn't beat him so he quit. Ali had it all back then and Sonny found out Clay was the real deal that night. No Mas!

Maybe i'm too much a fan of Ali's but i think he legitimately beat him that first fight. Ali had it all.....but when he came back after that 3 year suspension he lost his legs and was never the same. But from 1964 to 1967 or 68 he was The Man!

Just my opinion on it.

Clay vs Liston 1