http://www.secondsout.com/columns/jerry-glick/george-chuvalo-the-toughest-of-the-tough

“I’m disappointed,” said Chuvalo. “In the dressing room afterwards I said to Irving, ‘Why were you so upset before the fight?’ He said ‘I was threatened.’ ‘Who threatened you?’ ‘Bernie Glickman (Terrell’s manager).’ ‘Who’s Bernie Glickman?’ He was the front man for Tony Accardo, big mob boss in Chicago. Tony Accardo couldn’t get a license. Why?, because he had a criminal record. Bernie was clean but he was a tough talking guy. What happened was Bernie went to see Irving at his chicken processing plant and told him if George wins the fight you will end up in a cement box in Lake Ontario and your wife will take all your chicken business. To Irving’s credit he didn’t say anything before the fight but he did have that disturbing behavior. I’ve never seen him like that before. That’s why he was banging the dash. He didn’t want to tell me what it was but it was bothering him. The referee, Sammy Luftspring, told me the same thing, he was threatened too.”

[b][/b] “What happened was Bernie Glickman was in the hospital at that time in Chicago beaten within an inch of his life. Why was he beaten within an inch of his life? He went from there to a mental institution where he lost his life. He never saw the light of day again. He was questioned by the police but never said who beat him up. Let me try to figure this out for myself; he must have gone to see Herbert Muhammad (Ali’s manager) and threatened Herbert Muhammad much the same way that he threatened Irving Ungerman. If Ali wins he ends up in Lake Michigan. All Herbert Muhammad had to do was snap his fingers and all his Islamic guys are right there and bing-bam-boom that’s it. And that’s why I got the fight with Ali.”