BATTLE ROYALE

This was a little bit of a difficult book for me to read. Not due to language or anything like that. I think I just preferred the movie more than the novel. For those unaware, this is basically like THE HUNGER GAMES only it takes place in Japan, was written in 1999 and is a bit more violent.

The movie is pretty spot on to the novel but the novel gives some details on characters that I thought weren't really needed. For example, we're given a back story about 2 students who are first introduced to the reader and then a handful of pages later are dead. There are 40 students in this game and there can only be one winner (that's a lot of back stories and can be confusing from time to time). The film's good and it's one of Quentin Tarantino's favorites. However, I still enjoyed THE HUNGER GAMES more overall. The only thing I like more about BATTLE ROYALE compared to it is this has more violence and isn't afraid to not tone it down. I understand it's about kids killing kids but I also understand that it's just a novel.