Originally Posted By: JCB1977
According to Dominic Mallamo's FBI report, a meeting was held at the house of Paul Romeo on March 8, 1960 and six Italians, including Jimmy Prato and Charles Cavallaro put a vote to kill Sandy Naples because he was not kicking up tribute to them for his numbers operations.
http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=87915&relPageId=1 (Romeo & Mallamo start on page 13-Information on Naples shooting on page 20)

That is a great link, JCB. I have been checking various names on that site, and the picture is becoming a little clearer to me. The FBI did a lot of digging after the Cavallaro bombing, and their informants came up with a lot of information--though nothing you build an indictment on, of course.

From what I have read so far, the rivalry between Sandy Naples and Vince DeNiro seems to have caused a lot of the trouble. They had worked together and been friends and I guess both of them were loosely affiliated with the Mallamo-Romeo Calabrese group, but Naples especially got out of hand. The informants said that DeNiro and Cavallaro were both killed by Naples' people. Dominic Moio, a free lance, was 'playing for both teams' in all this, until Cleveland caught up to his game.
I am not clear on Schuller's role yet, but he was blamed for bombing Sandy's house. Mike Farah was a separate matter. He had been fronting for Cleveland for a long time, but he apparently lost political influence in Trumbull County and became both "uncontrollable" and surplus, so DelSanter disposed of him. Frattiano confirmed this years later.

I was surprised to read that Cavallaro was important enough to sit in with Prato and the others and approve the Sandy Naples contract. From what May reports, Cavallaro was having trouble just making ends meet. I still haven't figured out just who Fats Aiello stood with between the 40's and 60's and what his role was. May says that jukeboxes were Frank Cammarata's main interest, but I wonder if Detroit had any other pieces of the Youngstown action in the 40's and 50's. I will keep digging, but I wish I didn't have to dig on a Kennedy-paranoia site.

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but the killings of 1960-62 removed a bunch of guys who had been very prominent on the local scene since the 40's. Naples, Farah, DeNiro, et. al. were favorite targets of law enforcement and the Vindicator, constantly getting hauled in for one thing or another. Mallamo, on the other hand, seems to have kept a much lower profile.