Originally Posted By: JCB1977
The Sandy Naples murder will never be solved, as all the players involved are long dead. Where are you from? Why the interest in Youngstown?

Thanks very much for the FBI link. I am now in Boston, but from New York originally. I have always been interested in the mob and know a fair amount about the NY scene from the 20's through 60's. I am writing something about the 1950's now, and as part of this I am investigating the nationwide crime scene at that time. I am especially interested in the lesser-known areas and the mobs in them, like Reading PA, Dallas-Ft Worth, downstate Illinois, and of course the Youngstown-Steel Valley-W Va Panhandle area. If you're a New Yorker like me, you may get the idea that the classic syndicate was just a big city thing, but I am learning that was very far from the case.

I am also interested in Youngstown and area because it seems to have been a particularly crazy, brazen, and violent scene, far from what you'd expect for the 1950's. I think Allan May likened it to Hammett's Personville. I am surprised that no one has written a novel or made a movie about it all. (Yes, there is Kill the Irishman, but that is Cleveland.)

Last edited by Midtown; 02/11/14 05:18 PM.