I am a new member. I have joined this forum in order to do some research for some stuff I am writing about the mob and crime in the 1950's (which for me covers 1945-1964). I have already found some good stuff browsing here, thanks to all.

At the moment, I am trying to learn about Youngstown and the whole Steel Valley area (incl Steubenville, Wheeling, W Va pandhandle, E Liverpool, etc) during the 50's. I have been reading Allan May's excellent books about the region, and while he has a wealth of information it isn't always clear to me how it fits together. I gather that much of the area was considered 'open,' with at least 4 big mobs having pieces of the action: Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh. Tony DelSanter and and James Licavoli represented Cleveland and DiCarlo was the man from Buffalo, with Cammarata the Detroit man. But who was the key local man (men) for Pittsburgh during that era? Just who were Vince DeNiro, John Schuller, the Farah Brothers, Dom Moio, Dom Mallamo, Sandy Naples, Moosey Caputo, Fats Aiello, and Charlie Cavallaro aligned with? What was all the violence in the late 50's and early 60's really about, anyway? Was it competition between the four mobs, discipline within them, or what? Great as May's books are, they haven't answered those questions for me. My thanks to anyone who can help with this.