The thing with Rosario Gambino was that the Italians wanted him to serve out a 20 year sentence for the same thing he served 25 years for here in the USA. When it started looking like he'd win in court the USA decided to just deport him and let the Italians deal with it. So he was deported back to his home country and then was arrested on the outstanding warrants. I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure thats basically how it went.

That was also the argument that John Gambino used in his fight to avoid extradition in 2005. He did 15 years here in a broad plea deal that basically covered his entire criminal activity from the 1970's up until his sentencing in 93 or 94.

John Gambino was not deported after serving his sentence because he's an american citizen...and he wasn't extradited back to Italy because the appeals judge here in the USA said Gambino's plea deal covered the crimes he was wanted in Italy for. 15 years is no picnic but it covered everything...Murder, International Drug Dealing, Racketeering, Gambling, loan sharking and even jury tampering. The whole OC menu i guess you could say. After the first trial ended up as a mistrial Gambino and his brother Joe cut a decent deal with the feds considering everything it covered.

I'm no lawyer but what Padrone and Carmela said sounds right to me...about the family and US citizenship and the rights you get with it. Rosario's big mistake was not becoming a citizen when he had the chance to. I know John became one in the late 1960's...not sure when his brother Joe did...but i know eventually he became a citizen.