Originally Posted By: LittleMan
Originally Posted By: Tony_Pro

Same thing with Paul Castellano, very successful in the wholesale food business. But I think had more success due to being Carlo's cousin rather than being a skilled business man. I wonder how many contracts were won through a visit of "Big Paulie" to explain the ways of the world to a potential customer.

One thing that stuck out in my memory about Castellano's meat/poultry business is that they were supposedly selling bad product to the public. Maybe these practices were widespread in those days, but I'd hate to think that I was eating tainted and mislabeled meats. I used to shop at Waldbaums, and Dial Meat products were likely on their shelves....

Sorry for quoting Wiki (under Frank Amato), but I read about these scams elsewhere, also:

"As a butcher employed at Dial Meat Purveyors Inc. and the Meat Market, he was involved in the selling of rancid and expired meat products. ... In Bosses: The FBI and Paul Castellano, FBI Special Agent Joseph O'Brien suggests that at Dial Meat and the Meat Market he was taught by Castellano's men how to bleach tainted, outdated, uninspected meats or meats of a dubious provenance by using a white preservative powder known as "dynamite" that gave the faded, discolored meat a healthy fresh red appearance. Frank was also shown how to drain meat of any foul smelling juices it had accumulated by using formaldehyde and use counterfeit United States Department of Agriculture stamps to assign meats a false grade or expiration date. O'Brien would also state that at Castellano's meat suppliers he would have Amato and fellow butchers carve meat and label it as "beef" that was not always carved from cows and "pork" that was not always carved from pigs."

Wow, not too surprising though. Sounds like some of the sick shit going on with China's food industry these days. Though I've heard the "pig bung resold as Calamari" thing is an urban legend.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi