Originally Posted By: Extortion
I'd think Thomas Gambino (carl's son)

Thomas did have a "real" job; but it was a racket also. He ran a trucking company (he had outright control of four, I think) as a respectable business man on the outside. But the companies he had control over exhorted the garment district. Businesses in the district were only allowed to do business with those four companies. If another trucking company solicited business in the district, there would be problems.

It's one of the example of way it's hard to tell if a mobster actually "worked" a legit job, because so many "legit" companies were fronts for shake-down rackets and just businesses where on the shady side.

Same thing with Paul Castellano, very successful in the wholesale food business. But I think had more success due to being Carlo's cousin rather than being a skilled business man. I wonder how many contracts were won through a visit of "Big Paulie" to explain the ways of the world to a potential customer.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi