"Welcoming entitled hippies from other areas of the country is a different story. They're driving the property values up and pushing the blue collar people (who've been here for GENERATIONS) out at a much faster rate than a bunch of newly arrived immigrants making minimum wage in a restaurant kitchen."

I understand disliking that. I wouldn't like it either. I'm mainly concerned about hipsters being used as proxies for all non-hyphenated white people. I would hate to see a blue collar white person or a white person who is skilled in science, finance, etc move to NYC and be seen as some kind of hipster and be hated by everyone. It's sounds paranoid, but there is a whole 'anti-racist' industry that does this exact kind of stuff.

" The upside is that the rent usually comes straight from their parents, so there's rarely an eviction. And they don't usually stay very long. Two or three years and NYC is out of their system."

Wow. Their parents actually pay their entire rent in NYC? That's got to be astronomical.

I will say again, I don't like hipsters or their social affects. I just don't think they're the only problem and I don't want them being used as proxies for all out of state whites. (and I'm not saying that you were doing that, but that some others in society seem to)