Continuation from the 'Steven Crea as Boss' thread

"Wait 5 years from now and see how many more chinese immigrents come to NEw york and start buying up property.The same thing is going to happen here like it has in Europe canada and australia. They over populate a city and start buying up in one area then they just spread.Hipsers for the most part grow out of this Phase.But chinese people who are extremly racist and cheap ( they love buying property but forgo daily nessiteis that other people cant go without)never grow out this phase."

While I understand what Pizzaboy says and can agree with a lot of it, I am really glad that I'm not the only one who sees what tiger84 is talking about here. Don't think any of these people really give a fuck about the 'old New york' that you are talking about. They'll tap that nostalgia until they reach a critical mass, then you'll really see a change. Due to technology and other factors, immigration today is much different than it was 100 years ago. Something else to consider about the Chinese in particular: When the irish/Italian/etc came to the USA, the countries which they came from were fairly weak. (Ireland was under british control. Both Italy and Germany had only recently be united) Other minority groups like the jews were disliked and distrusted in the areas they came from, so there connections to the government were minimal at best. The Chinese, however, are coming from a country with one of the worlds largest economies and, despite recent slowdowns, one of the world's fastest growing. They are coming from a country which is technologically and militarily advanced. There coming from a country with a large international presence. That is a hell of a lot different than some irish guy jumping on a boat because he can't find enough potatoes. If you think that hipster are obnoxious and annoying, wait until these people reach a critical mass. They'll be like the Cubans in Miami. Then you really will see a new Brooklyn, a new Bronx, etc and the hipsters will be just as unwelcomed there as the people which you hope to protect. And if anyone tries to oppose them, the mother country will get involved and try to twist arms. I remember reading a while back that Italy had already some problems like that with China.(Yes, I know that there are a lot of generalizations here, but I;m going for a general idea, not pinpoint accuracy)

I will address other points later.

Last edited by StLguy; 01/29/14 11:50 AM.