I have always thought that Genovese was behind setting Scalise up by having Anastasia have him murdered. HairyKnuckles, the story is that Scalise was involved with drugs and on one of these deals was a big deal that went south with Scalise losing money that was given to him by both Strollo and Galante. When Bender found out what had happened, he informed both Genovese and Galante as Carmine fronted part of the money. When Strollo demanded that Scalise repay the lost money, Frank pulled rank. Vito told Tony to sit tight for now, and checked around. Some time later Vito found out that Scalise did not inform Anastasia of his dealings in drugs and was keeping the profits for himself. Genovese used Galante who was made in the Bonanno crime family for a sitdown with Anastasia as Albert at the time did not trust members of the Genovese and Lucchese crime families that were close to their family bosses. Carmine informed Anastasia of Scalise, and a setup was made. Tony was instructed to make another deal with Scalise, and if Frank did not report to Albert or kick up, then he was to be killed.

That is the story. Weather this is true or not we may never know. Valachi was the one that said Scalise was killed for selling membership, but Valachi was only a soldier and only knew what his capo Tony Bender or members of his and other families told him.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green