Sorry for the thread necro, I just heard about this today somehow. I'd be willing to bet a reinvigorated mafia war is on the horizon for Montreal. it could have started already, I don't know, this time of year is so busy I can't keep up with the news.

Rizzuto leaves a "legacy" in so far as the Mafia is concerned. Whether that legacy is good (well, as "good" as a mafia legacy can be, anyway..), bad, or somewhere in between remains to be seen.

"The Sixth Family" does employ a little hyperbole in terms of their estimation of Vito's power, at least as far as I can tell. It was still a great book, though. Read it cover to cover then lent it to my brother.

One thing is certain, Vito seemed like the last old school boss still around. It will be interesting to see what the future brings for the Montreal mob and whether or not whomever takes over the reigns can maintain the business connections in Sicily and elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Sharpshooter0009

What legacy? You sound like a little teenager that has been watching too many mafia movies. There's no legacy, these guys are criminals and a shame to the Italian people. There's no legacy and honor in this life.

Hey, ease up dude. A "legacy" simply means that they left a lasting impression upon the world/community/whatever. There is no connotation as to it being good or bad, as its dependent on the contextual circumstances of its use. In this case, Vito Rizzuto leaves a legacy as a powerful drug trafficker and major force in the Italian mob. he's not saying that it's a good legacy to leave behind, simply that he was a major icon in that world and won't be forgotten for a very long time... That doesn't make the guy an idealist child infatuated with the mafia mythos, just sayin' man. Don't be so quick to jump down peoples' throats.

Last edited by slumpy; 01/09/14 01:55 PM.