Originally Posted By: olivant
Well, for want of a field goal, my Steelers missed the playoffs. They did their part, but fate had a different plan. Some compensation; the Cowboys lost.

The Chiefs didn't play their qb or all-pro players as they had nothing to gain from winning the game, but that is their right that they earned. I was happy that they p[layed hard and if Succup made that 41 yarder, the Steelers would be in the postseason.

To rub salt in the wound, the league has commented that on that field goal attempt at the end of regulation, the Chargers had too many players on the right side of the line and should have been flagged, and the Chiefs allowed to rekick. There are two officials, whose job it is to count the players on the line before the kick for this purpose.

Moreover, the officials blew it for the Chiefs (more specifically, the Steelers) in overtime when the Chargers fumbled on the fake punt and KC seemingly returned it for a td. The ruling after the fact was that progress was stopped. Replays confirm clearly the ball was being advanced when it came loose, but the call is not reviewable.

Anyway, the beneficiary of the result was Cincinnati. I wouldn't wager on how far the Steelers would have advanced in the playoffs, but I am quite onfident they would have beaten the Bengals next week.