Originally Posted By: domwoods74
Was Vic cotroni and paolo violi not made guys in the bonnano family , if Vic cotroni made him , which I'm not sure he was authorised to do he would surely be a made member of the bonnanos , which is wot the FBI state he is . A member of the bonnano family

The FBI states him as a Soldier in the Bonanno Family, but we all know he has a lot more pull than the average Bonanno soldier. Who knows how they simply said "we're not Bonanno thumb anymore" but that's basically what happened. They have more international connections throughout Sicily and Venezuela (had?) than the Bonanno's themselves, so they simply grew to be more powerful, I think. I don't know for sure but that's the way it's commonly explained.

And while the FBI states him as a mere Soldier, Montreal authorities called him the head of his own organization. It's a confusing situation either way. Plus I hear now lately, from the other forums, that the Gambino's are more aligned with Montreal nowadays than the Bonanno's are. I don't know how true it is, but it would make sense with the authority of the Gambino's being Sicilian now.