Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Originally Posted By: TheArm
Dominic Bretti, a made Colombo guy got out of Prison and his home town was Utica NY, which happened to be in the thick of the dispute. Persico had already been commiserating with the Hamilton crew during the fall out with the Maggadino faction, had Bretti put a crew together that consisted of some Colombo guys he brought in from down state and some disgruntled Buffalo associates, and John Sullivan was on deck if needed.(He ended up doing a hit in Rochester and for some inexplicable reason, doing a robbery in Utica two days later) This was part of the "C TEAM"
War was pretty much declared in Central NY when they whacked Al Marrone (A made Buffalo and A team guy) two days after he got out of prison. Bretti believed if they took him out the rest of the Buffalo crew in the area would fold, a HUGE mistake.
The Falange crew, The Rome crew, the Water street crew and the Mohawk street crew dug in and there was a substantial body count. In the end the Western C team did themselves in behind too much cocaine and some senseless hits and that did nothing but bring heat on everyone. Remember,they didn't call the Colombos "The gang who couldn't shoot straight" for nothing

Cool! Thanks for your reply. I´ve read Bretti was a tough guy but, of course I can´t say for sure. How tough was he? Have you met him?

Even though he was a sworn enemy and IMO a real mutt, I will have to admit Bretti was tough as nails and a serious guy. I met him when he first got out of prison the first time at Freddie Gramaldi's before all the bad blood happened. I was introduced first by the daughters one of the owners and he was dismissive to say the least. later that night when I was introduced as "A friend of mine" by a made guy he was a lot more amicable.

Been there and done it
I am very much for real, so if you ask, make sure you really want to know.